The Government of Alberta’s decision to relocate ADLC to Barrhead opened the door to my 21-year career at an institution recognized throughout the world as a leader in K-12 distance education.
I would like to thank the Lethbridge staff at Alberta Distance Learning Center for their hard work and dedication given to our family. Our son used their services in Junior High and High School and is now very successful in his career and in life. Sincerely, Lori Ogertschni
Loya De Clercq
4:00 PM (24 minutes ago)
For over a decade I was the school liaison person signing students from Strathcona High School (Edmonton) up with ADLC to take courses that otherwise were not available to them
- Math 10-3, 20-3, 230-3 for students on the fringe of the Math world, and for whom success in these courses meant the difference between graduating (or not)
- lots of kids taking Psych, Law, Languages, Computers, even a few in Textiles & Fashion or Forestry and Horticulture/Landscape design expanding their horizon, some getting inspired to move in those directions post graduation
- courses so that the severely anxious, those with Irlen syndrome, ME/CFS , POTS, Fibromyalgia or other chronic illnesses as well as severe Post-Concussion syndromes, could work at their own paces, as their bodies allowed
- rafts of English and Math 30-1s so that those (often ELL students) needing to upgrade to get into post secondary had a second chance to be successful. Ditto for the travelling professional level athletes that we kept directing your way (from tennis, to golf, to hockey, lacrosse and even equestrian pursuits)
- I could think of many more and have countless memories of sitting with students, or passing the phone to students, once I dialed their ADLD teacher for them to break the ice the first time, they could relax and be successful.
And I think of you and your colleagues
- positive - you could frequently hear the smiles in their voices!
- knowledgeable and caring,
- flexible and understanding, able to problem solve and think of solutions if a student had specific problems with accessing and being able to work with the materials... think of all the "how to scan your work on your phone" tutorials everyone made!
- going above and beyond...
I too echo the voice of those who wish the staff all the best, especially those who have not yet been re-hired elsewhere.
Because Alberta schools and students will continue needing this kind of support, the one good thing, as far as I can tell, is that Vista Virtual might be picking up that kind of role province wide.
While local school board outreach services have popped up, they can't offer the wide range of subjects or the year round support which is so crucial for the students with health needs in particular and also handy for the travelling and the pro athletes.
Your school was one of a kind, you can all be proud of your legacy!
Three cheers for all who made the place run from Yvonne and all the skilled front line, plus exam and marks professionals, to Steven and all admin to everyone of the teaching staff.
Enjoy a good summer's rest and may new adventures open up for you all come September!
former I-Learn Center Coordinator
Strathcona High Edm.
It’s our last day of school here at Calvin and Esther and I really wanted to say goodbye to all of you but especially to you ladies in the office that we’ve gotten to know over the years at our meetings. Always a pleasure to have met and chatted with you!
Also a special goodbye to Loya! Not much contact in these later years but certainly the beginning years when we came daily to drop off materials at the office and have a quick chat!
As well, thanks to all the markers and lead teachers we have worked with over the years...much appreciated!
We were privileged to have a great working relationship for 25? 30? years and we appreciated all the efforts put forth to make this happen so we could teach our students from a Christian perspective using ADLC materials.
We’ll miss you ...but hopefully can establish new relationships with other modes of distance learning.
We wish you all God’s indispensable blessings for your future endeavours and thank you all for what you have been for us as a school.
Esther and Nellie